From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 08:54:42 +0100
> It's my observation that there is a correlation between bigger
populations, more stores, and increased defensiveness.

Not always the case.  I often have hives with 6-10 supers that are easily
handled and have, on the odd occasion, had a 4 frame nuc set about me.

> Given that Top bar hives are of a fixed size, with limited room for
surplus, this particular condition is never met.

I have just reviewed a book on TBH where the author says that they are not
for beekeepers who are 'hell-bent' on getting large crops of honey.  My view
is that the amount of honey gathered is a direct measure of the colonies
health and well-being.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W