From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:34:30 +0800
Juanse has derived an indicative index for identifying colonies to be
selected for breeding:-

> Index = FHoney x3+FBees x2+FBrood
>

> x3 frames with honey because I want colonies that produce lots of honey
> x2 frames with bees, because I want populated colonies in spite of
> producing
> honey
> x1 frames with brood, because I want a genetic that closes early the
> brood.
>
> What do you think? Do you agree with the factors? Any method to define
> those
> factors?

Wow Juanse, thats a lot of work, but great if you can do it. Suprised that
there has been no feedback yet.
My comment is that the bias is strongly in favour of honey production, since
not only do you use a threefold multiplier factor for honey produced, but
also a twofold multiplier for population. I would expect production and
population to be closely linked (ie directly proportional... is that what
your figures show?), unless of course you have some colonies with short
lived field bees.

PeterD
in Western Australia where the summer at long last seems to be drawing to a
close!