From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 08:19:02 -0400
Bob writes:

> "now linked to poor management"??????

Ernesto Guzman has pointed out that high winter loss is directly connected to management issues. If in fact colony collapse is caused by a combination of heavy mite load and nosema ceranae, as you suggest, then it would follow that the failure to control these parasites would be poor management, since there are available treatments for these.

I know beekeepers that treat proactively against nosema, AFB, and varroa, and they have good looking bees. I know others that take a wait and see approach and their bees look like crap. However, the key point is the glaring fact that starvation is listed as the top cause of colony loss.

I have never had a colony starve on me, so I wonder how this is possible. I assume it is caused by having too many colonies so that you cannot adequately monitor them. And/or stripping the honey off on the assumption that they will be moved to honey flow and/or fed later. That most certainly is a management issue.

Pete