From:
"Dr. Reimund Schuberth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:58:16 +0100
-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Luis Rommel Beutelspacher <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: Freitag, 4. Dezember 1998 16:26
Betreff: Queenless hives and honey (mexico)

Dear Mr. Beutelspacher,

It is well-known since many years that queenless hives produce a greater
honey crop.
The reason is not the queen for itself but the amount of brood. Beekeepers
often cage the queen shortly before or during a period of good honey flow or
take the queen out to get extremely more honey. More workers can become
foragers and fly out because there is less brood to be cared for.
But it's obvious, the disadvantage of this method is that the hives will
brake down if the honey flow lasts too long.

>I found about 10 hives without a queen (obviously no brood or eggs), but
all
>the brood area is covered with honey.  The strange thing is that all of the
>queen-right colonies do not have such great supplies of honey, only a
little
>honey around the brood area, as usual.

X-mas greetings to all
Sincerely