From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:01:52 -0500
> Did I detect anger in your response?

Not at all. Don't read too much between the lines. I'm just trying to present the facts. I have stated repeatedly that the beekeeping industry is over regulated, that it should be much easier for beekeepers to get the tools they need to control varroa, and that they are already using these products in any case.

Many of these chemicals are cheap and readily available. The EPA and the USDA should have given beekeepers the go ahead to use them years ago. Rather than raise the bar so high that it isn't worth going to market, they should have published clear instructions on how to purchase, prepare and use the raw materials.

The convenience of a packaged product will always make it desirable and sellable to a particular market, whether a sideliner who wants the ease and convenience, or a large scale operator who would rather spend time on something other than metering out doses.

By the way, I bought one of the last buckets of MiteAway II. I have made up those pads myself, and it's a RPA (royal pain in the ass)

PLB