From:
Gilles Maguet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:48:31 -0500
I've seen websites featuring gift packs containing 9, one ounce
test-tubes filled with a variety of honey flavours selling for $78 US
funds plus shipping.

A beekeeper in my area (NorthWest, Manitoba) sells 30 lb pails of honey
to a few enterprising individuals from Colorado and California for $60 (
US funds) each.  They in turn mark it up to as much as $150 each.  It
doesn't sell as fast at that price but eventually it does move.  He has
an order for about 5000lbs this year.  Makes a good tax free holiday to
California.  If  premium white honey in its pure form ( unblended ) can
fetch these prices, I don't quite understand why packers are waging
price wars with huge volume sales of cheap and poor tasting honey.
Give the consumers something good to taste and sales should increase.
Give them something different as well.  For example, I've never seen
orange blossom honey for sale in Manitoba.  It should be on these
shelves priced at a premium as with other unique honey flavours of North
America.   This generic honey blend junk on the shelf should be so easy
to compete with when you put something good beside it.

My two cents.

Gilles Maguet

Soon to be egg producer