From:
Lefebvre Myriam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:51:58 GMT+1
Dear All,
I am a newcomer on the list and would like to share some
information on bee sounds. I completed my PhD on bee sounds
in 1993 at Macquarie University in Sydney (Australia). At
the time no one seemed to be interested in the data I had
collected and from there I moved to Italy to work on
scientific projects that had nothing to do with honeybees. I
am presently living in Belgium where I just started a
project about honeybees, that's why I joined the BEE-L list.
To come back to bee sounds, there is such a thing as worker
piping and there are even more worker sounds that I recorded
and described in full details in my thesis. The worker
piping I recorded (I am talking about substrate sounds) was
different from all other sounds that had been reported in
the literature, at least at the time of my work. I called it
the long piping signal. For reasons that I don't want to go
into here, I did not publish my data elsewhere, except for a
Belgian beekeeping journal (in French). I would be happy to
send more information if anyone is interested. I would have
loved to do more research on bee sounds but at the time
there where no good opportunities.

Sincerely,
Myriam

PS:The reference of the thesis:
An analysis of alarm sounds of honeybees (Apis mellifera).
Myriam Lefebvre
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.

Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com