From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:48:38 EST
Bently Durant wrote:
>I need to know about mesquite too. I have my have situated right
across from a >field that is being taken over by the mesquite.
>anyone have some exact dates for mesquite honeyflows around Dallas Texas???

I keep bees in the Dallas area and have land close to Corsicana where I
keep most of my hives.  There are huge fields of Mesquite around my
hives and my bees made much honey from them the second half of last
summer.  Mesquite will "bloom" several times a year, it is
indeterminate.  Apparently Mesquite will produce nectar in proportion
to the amount of water it receives.  Last year we had a terrible
drought the first half of the year.  I have a stock tank that was bone
dry for that time.  July and August were the wettest months of the year
last year.  They are normally the hottest and driest months of the
year.  My stock tank was brimming full by the end of July.

You can tell when Mesquite is in bloom by the yellowish colored
"flowers" that hang from the new shoots.  The blooms have one main
branch with several little blooms on it.  In some ways they resemble
the branches of a lung.  You will see the bees climbing all over these
when a honeyflow is on.

Last year I noticed three "blooms" on the Mesquite in my area.  The
first was in the spring but because it was so dry there was little if
any nectar.  The second happened in July and produced much interest
from the bees.  The third was in August and also stirred up the bees.
Hopefully this year we will have a better flow.  We aren't having a
drought but we are a few inches low on rain for the year.  It's
supposed to rain today and later this week.  Perhaps we can catch up.

We have had two periods of weather in the '70s so far this year.  My
bees have been flying and bringing in gobs and gobs of bright yellow
pollen.  My first pollen source last year was willow but I'm not sure
what this is because the willow doesn't appear to be blooming.  Anyway
pollen is a great sign of buildup for the spring.  If we can get some
rain it may be a great year for honey.

We're feeding and treating for varroa and nosema soon.  Four packages
of bees should arrive next month and we're splitting the two most
prolific hives we had last year.  Bees are flying and the season is on
in Texas!

Ted Wout, 3rd year beekeeper, 8 hives, adding 4 this spring
Red Oak, TX