From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 05:26:55 -0800
Allen wrote:  "On occasion she [Dee]can get a significant premium for her honey due
to her claims...   I think Joe Carson taps that high
price market with his Alaska honey and its unique story."

Response:  I'm going to swerve from the main thoughts, but despite what Dee may or may not produce, don't we sell ourselves as the secret to marketing?  We don't sell the steak, we sell the sizzle.  Like fine wine, good honey ought to have a story where the consumer connects to our product.

As for me and my house, we produce honey and my number one goal is to maximize my production and sell for the best price, which translate into retail sales and farmers markets.  I have a day job, but my beekeeping enterprise is geared for profitability.  I make no apology for capitalistic endeavors as a necessity of our consumer-driven economy. We find that if honey has a story of the crop or region it was produced from, i.e. "varietals," consumers become repeat customers.

Grant
Jackson, MO