From:
Tim Towsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 00:18:04 -0800
James C. King wrote:

>  The plastic frames must be individually
> separated from the frames above to separate the supers.
>
> I have talked to Nick at Pierco about this.   Apparently there is no
> solution.   It is not a problem caused by inappropriate frame spacing, but
> just an idiosyncrasy of the Pierco frame.  Perhaps any plastic frame?
>
> Jim King, Riegelsville, PAJim;

I response to your inquiry about plastic frames sticking, it can be a problem
with Pierco frames, it is because the top bar is relatively "thin" in comparison to
traditional wood frames. The bees don't recognize the pierco top bar as an end to the
frame, and so continue to build.  We've come to accept that we have to "crack" between
ALL supers with a hive tool, somewhat difficult and time consuming to start with but we
have adjusted to it. We also find that this problem is greatly increased if the bees are
allowed to plug out. I believe the chances of catching a queen between the supers is
less than rolling her when frames are pulled. While the pierco frames do end up with
more burr comb on the top and bottom of the frame, there is almost none on the sides of
the top and bottom bar. Which helps reduce the chances of rolling the queen when the
frames are pulled. I guess you could call it a trade off, more burr comb but less brace
comb. We find the extra 15% of cell space worth the bother.