From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:43:11 -0600
Abstract - In order to identify genes that are influencing defensive
behaviors, we have taken a new approach by dissecting colony-level
defensive behavior into individual behavioral measurements using two
families containing backcross workers from matings involving European
and Africanized bees. We removed the social context from stinging
behavior by using a laboratory assay to measure the stinging response
of individual bees. A mild shock was given to bees using a
constant-current stimulator. The time it took bees to sting in response
to this stimulus was recorded. In addition, bees that were seen
performing guard behaviors at the hive entrance were collected. We
performed QTL mapping in two backcross families with SNP probes within
genes and identified two new QTL regions for stinging behavior and
another QTL region for guarding behavior. We also identified several
candidate genes involved in neural signaling, neural development
and muscle development that may be influencing stinging and guarding
behaviors. The lack of overlap between these regions and previous
defensive behavior QTL underscores the complexity of this behavior and
increases our understanding of its genetic architecture.

A Genetic Analysis of the Stinging and Guarding Behaviors of the Honey
Bee

 John R. Shorter •  Miguel Arechavaleta-Velasco • Carlos Robles-Rios •  Greg
J. Hunt

Behavioral Genetics