Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:55:05 GMT
>>In support of my contention that so called ferals are not different
from bees in colonies that are raised from locally available honey
bees and/or simply allowed to requeen themselves.

It depends on what you consider significant differences and if the managed local hives are regularly requeened with out of state queens.  I'lI give you one example.  It's been an extremely hectic colony removal season for me.  I've had calls for removals from Rye, NY to the Hamptons (NY).

If color constitutes a significant difference, I've removed 3 and 4 colonies, respectively, in distinct concentrated areas about 25 miles apart.  Both groupings were in a radius of 1.5 - 2.0 miles.

One grouping had mostly very dark queens with some bees almost pitch black.  Great health, brood patterns, stores etc.  The second grouping had queens and bees looking like the typical Italians.  These carried some varroa, some brood patterns where gun-shot.  [I have yet to find a marked queen.]  Judging from the young combs, most of the colonies were started by this year's swarms.  None had been sprayed.

Yes, the drones from the managed hives pass some genetics onto the feral colonies.  I do not know exactly which traits (feral vs. *imported*) are dominant in the feral survivors since I don't know if the ferals in my area outnumber managed hives.

Waldemar