From:
Molokai Meli LLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:17:59 -1000
When we were asked by data collectors in the industry earlier this year
if we had experienced CCD losses, we carefully looked over the symptoms
before giving our negative reply.  Even though we had a larger per cent
of winter deadouts than any other year, it was clear it wasn't CCD.  If
anyone were to ask me now if we have been affected by CCD, I would have
to answer, "Positively."  It is not a case for media headlines: "CCD
HIts Hawaii".  No, it's a case for every one of us beeks to understand
that all of this information and misinformation as well as cartoon
movies for kids that have come about because of this CCD issue, we are
now the enemy of the bees.  It used to be that the kids respected us
for the work we do for the bees, and taking the time to educate them.
Now I hear questions like, "You're not one of those people that use
smoking guns on the bees, are you? or "Do you really keep thousands of
bees in a tiny box?"  It seems not to matter in the view of the public
just how you keep your bees or what you do to them or for them, if
you're a beek, you're the cause of CCD.  I see the CCD losses to have
gone far beyond the number of hives disappearing mysteriously.

Molokai Meli