From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:33:22 -0800
> >I am trying to show that Ernesto and all have singled out varroa as the
> most serious factor.

I've been to three conferences in Canada this season, and spent a good bit
of time speaking with Canadian researchers, provincial apiculturists, and
beekeepers.

My impression is that there is common agreement on varroa.  When I visit
Canadian beekeepers, it is like deja vu.  Their mite/miticide issues are
following much the same ups and downs as they did here in the States.

Dr Currie, one of the above authors showed how colony losses tended to
follow failure of each synthetic miticide, just as they did here in the
States.

 He also showed very interesting data from his samples of bee viruses from
province to province.  His samples from Victoria Island, which experienced
such high losses this winter, had DWV nearly two orders of magnitude higher
than those of other provinces.  BQCV levels were surprisingly high across
the country, too.

The dependence upon the canola bloom, and the rapid weather and temperature
changes in fall are challenges to bees and beekeepers and can have strong
effects upon colony condition going into winter.

The data on nosema are less clear.  Some of Medhat's data and anecdotal
observations suggest that treatment is beneficial, which is no surprise,
based upon a long history of research with N apis, and the long Canadian
winter.

As far as CCD-type losses, the reports are less clear.  However, the lack of
large-scale hive movement across the country leaves many beekeepers
relatively isolated from new pathogens.  I was stunned to speak to various
beekeepers who don't even have varroa yet!

Randy Oliver