Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:28:57 -0400
Here in Maine we are looking at a period- depending on whose forecast you
believe- of 3-14 days of extended temperatures in the 30s and maybe some
low 40s.The consensus is 8-10 days.

Many years ago, under these exact same conditions, I had to go to
Washington DC. I left two hives, one boiling with bees and one in fine
shape. I got back and the boiler had starved to death. Honey was inches
away from the dead bees.

Ever since then I put some source of sugar right over the cluster. In the
early days it was candy and now a sugar board (not candy board but slightly
moistened sugar). Just got back from adding a board to one colony and
replenishing the board over another. Both are in great shape and doing
well, which is why they really need the insurance.They are still heavy with
honey, as was the hive that starved.

So if you are looking at some extended cold over the next week or so (it
only took a week when I lost my bees) I strongly suggest giving them some
sugar right over the cluster- not on the inner cover but right on the
cluster.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine