Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:00:13 -0400
>> and many of the hives lost were splits in their first year.

>The frames, whatever it is, you passed it to new colonies / nucs by the
>frames. Or the topology of mortality shows a different way of transmition?

That was 'way to many quotes, Juanse, but a good question nonetheless.

I'd have to say that the transmission was not by frame transfer unless
there is a long latency period and all cases develop within a definite
window.  (Unlikely).

These were spring and early summer splits.  Many did quite well until I
noticed one hive turned nasty and happened to have what looked like
EFB.  Two weeks later it was down to a frame or two and around that time,
other hives began to dwindle and went off their feed as they got smaller.

Some remained strong, but I noticed some hives were dead and dying just
after I wrapped.  By then it was getting too late to do anything and  I left
the problem for spring.  Spring never came.  Winter is just finally ending
now, but when I was able to walk through the yard, there was no bee
life at all.

Going into winter, experience told me that I'd be lucky to have 50%
survive, but I was not expecting zero survival.

As I mentioned, I doumented my activities and delusions as I went and
it is all there for anyone to read.  I never change a word of my diary after
it has been up for more than a short while, and it stretches back to 1999.

It is at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary

The time travel links can move a reader to any month of any year.
See http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/pastpages.htm

I hestitate to mention those pages because I can't imagine how anyone
can have the endurance to readmore than a little, (but occasionally people
tell me that they have read it all.  You decide).