From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 16:40:34 -0800
Dr. T Szabo spoke at our winter meeting yesterday and had a slide of the front
of a colony. He asked us how we could tell from the picture that the queen was laying
well. Noone hd a clue. The picture was taken in fall and there were quite a few
drones just above the entrance. If you looked close, you noticed that whe the workers
were grabbing drones by the wings and some were moving drones away from the entrance.
        Nothing new for most of us, but I never heard that this was an idication that
the queen was laying well. He told us that if the queen had not mated well the drones
would not be thrown out and that drones in winter could point to a queen problem. This
is not a quote because my memory aint that good but that was the jist.