From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:58:58 -0400
Appreciated James Bach's post on this one -- about inappropriateness of
Oregon Standards.

Carrying his notion a bit further, I wonder if the notion of "organic"
produce hasn't gotten a bit sidetracked into focusing too exclusively on
keeping certain things (pesticides, chemical fertilizers) *out* of foods,
rather than on fostering organic (i.e., farming systems championed by
Rodale and others) gardening and farming practices that put more *in* to
foods (nutrition, flavor) and have, as an important side benefit, the
effect of supressing pests and disease, helping to eliminate the need for
pesticides and such.

I prefer organic produce -- that I grow myself -- because it tastes fresher
and better, and I think it's better for me.. And I prefer my own comb
honey, or chunk honeu that included strained, unheated liquid honey in the
pack, because it tastes better, and I think it's better for me.

Seems to me people who want to know more about their food should exercise
their option to buy from local suppliers they know and/or can question
about the food they're buying.

Having an "organic" stamp from Oregon, California, Florida, or the USDA on
my tomatoes, honey or eggs tells me almost nothing useful about how the
person who produced it keeps his or her garden, bees, or chickens.

Greg

Greg Hankins                    Happy Hank's Honey House
[log in to unmask]                 Mt. Gilead, North Carolina