From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 22:43:34 -0500
Hello Herb & All,

The insurance adjuster needs to work the price out with the beekeeper. I
suggest he pays what the beekeeper asks and fast.

A bigger problem exists if the beekeeper only wants the money and not the
hives or clean up!

Those hives now belong to the insurance company along with the clean up
charges.

If the beekeeper did his own clean up and he wants the damaged equipment
then the insurance adjuster has room to negotiate.

If the bees are still at the crash site then insurance adjuster has  a real
problem as the beekeeper can turn down the load of bees and demand payment.
Then the insurance company owns the mess.

I speak from experience as the 500 hives which overturned in Kansas City
(was on CNN 2003) was bought by my partner from the insurance company. The
beekeeper (name withheld) did not want the damaged beehives or the cleanup
problem. The insurance adjuster quickly accepted my partners very low offer
for the damaged bee hives and doing the clean up.
Hobby beekeepers help out but if you live in a sub division placing 500
hives in your back yard is not an option. Large trucks and loaders are
needed to cleanup the mess *unless* the fire dept. kills all the bees and
the boxes are placed in a dumpster for the landfill (has happened many
times).
Herb I will advise the adjuster by email if he needs help but the adjuster
bulling up to a large migratory beekeeper will not work.
Losing a entire load of bees right now for the beekeeper  can be costly. The
adjuster needs to see first if the owner/beekeeper will even accept the
damaged beehives. If so then deals can be struck
If not then the adjuster has a serious problem.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison