From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:48:00 +0900
>I am looking for an internet site that can teach me how to harvest and
>process bees wax and teach me how to make candles. Have any of you come
>across such a site?

Any reasonable size book store has a section on handcrafts and you will have
a choice of books on candle making.  Avoid the simplistic activity for
children style and the dinner party conversation piece and pick a book or
two that has practical instructions.  A suitable book will include
information on how to make your own moulds, or press shapes into wet sand
but moulds can be purchased from apiarist supply companies or craft shops.

I do not use any additives although I know some beekeepers who add fragrant
oils to candles.  It is a matter of experimentation.

Candles are ridiculously simple to make - just remember to treat the inside
of the mould so that it will come apart after the wax has set otherwise you
will have to purchase new moulds.  I use el cheapo vegetable oil and wipe
round with an old cloth.

After you have experimented with moulded candles you can proceed to dipped
and other fancy styles.

Wax is flammable - no direct heat.

A hive will produce about 1 kg. of wax per season.  If you are collecting
your own you need to melt it and remove any honey and slum gum and then
strain it through a fine cloth.  The colour will depend on the pollen
content and the age of the comb.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html