From:
Rick and Kathy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:47:11 -0500
>  peter dillon wondered about Queen development in Queen cells and why they were produced near to the
> vertical in relation to gravity.
> and stated: As far as I am aware it is only possible to transport "ripe" queen cells without having to
> ensure
> against shock and movement from the "vertical"

Peter,
It is my understanding that the primary reason for Queens being reared in the "vertical" position is
simply space available in the comb.  If queens were reared in a horizontal position, they would fill the
bee space in the protion of comb they were being reared.

Also, I'm aware that the last piece of development in all honeybees in the inflation of their wings.
Worker and drone brood, as well as queens, will develop wingless if jostled during the last days of
development

Kathy