From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:22:24 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Dave
Thompson <[log in to unmask]> writes

>There are two distinct events here, seperated by 10K yrs
>When it is cold you only get scrubby small trees, eg black spruce
>These are too small to be BEE TREES
>When it warms, if there is enough rain, then a climax forest
>develops.  Then there are a few BEE TREES and hence bees
>Man is not involved in this process

I am sorry but I do not know what point you are trying to make.

In all information I have seen the Primorsky (and surrounding regions
like Khabarovsk) bees are the result of bee movements in from the
western regions of Russia/Soviet Union over the last 50 to 150 years. It
is not part of the native range of Apis mellifera.

Their isolation, their longest of all groups exposure to varroa, and the
lack of medications used made them the object of investigation to see if
varroa resistance had arisen. They are not any ancient offshoot or
isolated race, merely some European origin bees that have coped there in
isolation.

In any case, a migration by more primitive means would not have been
precluded anyway, as old time journeys of bees to Australia, New
Zealand, and California took place in times of less than rapid
transport. The point is, however merely academic. The bees under
question are a relatively recent placement.

Some were transported back the other way too.........and apparently
brought a little sesame seed like friend with them into European
Russia.....and the rest of that little tale is played out daily in these
pages.
--
Murray McGregor