Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:19:04 -0500
>> I haven't been following  the latest articles on the topic, but
 >> basically, checkerboarding is just spreading brood according to a
 >> formula, with a catchy name.

 > Looks interesting in the context:
 > http://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-checkerboard-a-hive/

Apparently I am in error, and if so I apologise.

It seems from that reference given above that this is done in supers,
however at the same time reference is made to wintering in three, which
would mean three brood chambers, not supers, so what am I to think?  It
is basic terminology, folks!

The assumption that the bees will be in the middle box in spring also
does not fit with my experience.  In my experience, they are in the top
box and often stove-piped through the hive.  (I winter in three and four
boxes).

I read first about checkerboarding many years ago.  At the time it
seemed like mumbo-jumbo and, for that matter, it seems to me that the
recommendations were different then.  Perhaps not.  Can't recall.

At any rate, the procedure simply appears to be a matter of breaking up
any great stores of honey that may remain in spring.  Beekeepers do that
anyhow  by reversing, pulling feed, adding or removing boxes, equalizing
or many other tricks.

I suppose for those who do beekeeping the way some 'artists' paint by
numbers, this is helpful, but to me it is still mumbo-jumbo.

My apologies again if I bruised any true believers, and thanks to those
who sprung to the defence.

A little controversy is often illuminating -- and fun!