From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:04:18 -0400
me:
>Hmm. Some folks are saying the same thing about the chemicals that
>beekeepers are dumping in the hive.

Bob:
>Says you and Brian?

No. Not me. I would prefer to see some actual evidence linking chemicals and
the problems we see in honey bees today. I don't doubt there is a potential
link, but no one has proved anything. That said, I think we should
aggressively pursue any potential connection there. I believe this is being
done at present.

>How many hives do you look at when you check a commercial beeks bees? What
>percent? How many samples do you take and send off to the lab?
>
>Be honest please?

If you mean samples I send in for pesticide residues, zero. The NY apiary
inspection program is not monitoring what chemicals are applied to hives.
What I see in hives is strictly confidential in any case.

The only samples I take are: smear and comb samples to confirm AFB
diagnosis; adult bee samples to check for nosema; adult bees to test for
Africanization. I do mite counts in the field.

The NY state apiary inspection program is making a strong effort to regain
the confidence of beekeepers and provide cutting edge assistance on
assessing the current state of honey bee health in NY state.

I am hoping to see some reports out of Albany in the near future but I can
tell you nosema is widespread and the numbers are high. In my area, AFB is
way down. Bee losses are all over the map and there is no smoking gun.

Peter Borst

PS. I did a little research on sampling size and it is really an argument
you don't want to go into unprepared.