From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:46:26 +0900
Alden Marshall and Jim Jensen have contributed information on baffle
arrangements to assist bees in ventilating their hives.

Under South Australian conditions where the hives yield a harvest 10 months
of the year and we visit the hives at monthly intervals, our usual practice
is to have one full depth super and one smaller size (we call this a Manley
and it is probably three-quarters full depth).

In this size hive, and in our smaller mating nucleus hives of 5 frames, bees
are capable of very sophisticated heating and cooling arrangements provided
they have access to water.  They can manage the heating/cooling even better
with one entrance and no ventilation holes. The mating nucleus hives with an
entrance space of about one inch over-winter very well and are bursting with
strength for our early spring queen replacements.

The hive organises a double shift around the entrance, with bees on one side
drawing air in and on the other side expelling air from the hive.
Ventilation holes interfere with the controlled air flow.  The difference in
air flow can be felt with a bare hand on one side or the other of the entrance.

Provided the entrance does not become clogged with dead bees or rubbish, I
recommend a single entrance.  Ventilation holes will be necessary if you are
moving the hives in hot weather.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island