From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2017 17:53:05 -0500
On 30-Dec-17, at 10:07 AM, randy oliver wrote:

> recent studies by Strauss, Pirk, and Mortensen.  It is only the Cape
> Bee
> that appears to obtain substantial benefit from a reduced postcapping
> duration.  There simply isn't that much benefit from a shorter
> reduction.

Hi Randy & All

I copied the following from the intro to a paper by Pirk et al
Studies have shown that African honeybee populations survive mite
infestation without requiring any managerial inputs by beekeepers. For
example, field studies by various researchers demonstrated that
survival of the South African Cape honeybee A. m. capensis against
Varroa mite was linked to short post-capping stage, hygienic and
grooming behaviors of this honeybee subspecies [19–21]. Likewise,
survival of the savannah honeybee subspecies A. m. scutellataagainst
the mite was found to be associated with reduced population growth,
low viral prevalence, short post-capping stage, low fertility,
fecundity and reproductive success of Varroa mite foundresses

While the affect of short post-capping stage was higher on the list
for the Cape bee it was still listed for the Scuts.  I remember, years
ago on Bee-L,  that the Lusby's success was attributed, in part, to
short post capping stage limiting the number of fertile mites emerging.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W