From:
Chris Konopka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 22:05:00 -0400
Hello everyone--to begin, I am not only a beginning beekeeper and a first
time poster to the group, but I am also a rather computer illiterate
computer user--I'm not even sure how to tell if my post is in text only
format or html format, so if my post is rejected, I'd appreciate it if
someone could just tell me how to submit it right--anyway, here's my quick,
beginners question:

My friend and I installed our Italian package bees in 1 deep body with fresh
foundation on April 17th--we went back a few days later just to make sure
the queen got out of her cage, and then we didn't really "go through" the
hive until the 27th--the bees were busily working on drawing out 5 of the 10
frames, though none of the 5 were completely drawn out--we did also locate
the queen--here are my 2 questions

1. It was the 5 frames on the left side of the box that the bees were
working on, while none of the 5 on the right were being touched--will the
bees move to these on their own, or could it be that they've only been
working on the left ones because that is where we have the entrance feeder?

2.  We noticed cells filled with sugar water and cells filled with what
appears to be the brown pollen substitute we gave them when we installed
them, but we didn't notice anything looking like eggs or larva--was it just
too early to look for these or is there a problem--or perhaps we didn't look
carefully enough

any help would be appreciated--thanks

Chris Konopka
Pennsylvania