Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 06:11:52 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Barry Digman writes:  "shouldn't we have already seen a significant impact on food grown in the US?"

Yeah.  One could easily draw that conclusion or begin to think so.  It makes me wonder just how much of our food is really grown in the US and how much is imported, which would cover some of this assumed loss/shortage due to bee deaths.  

Then there are those stories of strawberry growers chopping off their plants because the price is too low.  Which to me, makes about as much sense as dairy farmers pouring milk on the ground.

Secondarily, the bulk of our food system is comprised of grains/grasses (corn, wheat, rice, etc.) and root crops (potatoes).  These food groups don't require pollination from bees.  There should be no impact from honeybee deaths.

We're also basing a large portion of our understanding on what "the press" selectively reports--and don't get me started on what's "fair and balanced."   It seems to me that the news media is driven by negative, alarmist stories that boost ratings rather than inform.  To the media, bad news is good news, if it bleeds it leads.

There's no doubt we're in a pickle with the bee deaths, but the ramifications are quite speculative fueled by a forum that sustains itself by pricking our paranoia.

Grant
Jackson, MO

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2