From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:37:21 -0400
I wrote:   >>>Would there be any genetic diversity within the population of
drones from
> the same queen?<<<

And got the answer"

Then Chris said:
>>>I have it in my mind that the queen, being diploid, will have a
re-shuffled assortment of genes in every egg that she produces, the same as
with humans, and so each drone will be different.  On the other hand, the
drone, being haploid, will produce identical sperm.  Or am I confused?<<<

"   and so each drone will be different", would be false because the poor
haploid drone doesn't get the benefit of the meosis roulette. Actually a
drone is simply a carrier of his mothers genes. Then I thought about all the
things that affect genes. Some are turned on or off by virus and
environment. Epigenetics has shaken up what had been a clear picture.
Let's not leave out the mutation that can occur when a photon darts in to
leave its mark on a gene. All in all, my original question was dumb but
there does exist the potential for at least some variation among drones from
the same mother. Drones born in the cold of Feb (In CT) have different
stresses than those born in the dearth of mid-summer. Stress affects genes.

Dick
Chris