From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 04:43:29 -0700
--- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>...what says the OA evened out
> the load?

The evidence says that OA did a good job of evening
out the load.  The factual data recorded in the test
indicate that both test groups large and small were
within one mite per natural mite fall in April of
2004.  The small group at about .25 and the large
group at 1.20 mites.

>...A one season test proves zero in my book with new
> hives!

You should update your book.  Any colony that
out-competes others in 'one season' shows an ability
to thrive and superior health, and will beat out the
slackers in the genetic pool.  I find that early
thrivers do better the second and third year than the
under-performers do, and I make many cuts based on one
season.

I regularly eliminate several feral swarms I catch
within 3 months of capture.  This 'one season'
assessment is critical for fast identifying the fit
colonies from the duds and not wasting time on them.

The selection of fit colonies does not require that
the losers get a second year to prove themselves.  IF
you are observant, it is obvious much earlier which is
fit.  You as a breeder should know better than anybody
else that you can prove allot in one season!  I see
you posing one season results all the time right here
on BEE-L.  ;>)

> He should as the element of chalkbrood has
> compromised the published test results.

No, the existence of chalkbrood has added an equal
element of stress to the test groups in it's entirety.
 Colonies should always be expected to perform well
under several such stresses.  The test results suggest
that the large group was unable to cope as well with
the added stress of chalkbrood and mites as the small
cell group did.  This was reflected in the large cell
group with less productivity and fecundity in the
broodnest.  I want bees that are able to cope with
several stresses at a time.  I choose my worst
location with minimal forage for early stages of
assessing, as a tool for quickly identifying the
fittest.

>I did a
> post explaining my
> interpretation of the results but the post  got sent
> to file thirteen by the
> moderators!

Maybe you do not understand the concept of excessive
quotes. ;>)

Best Wishes,
Joe
PA