From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:45:48 -0400
Your Real Name wrote:
> I understand that vacuum has been the method of choice for removing water
> from honey for some time.  No matter what the method, natural drying in the
> hive, air circulation in a hot room equipped with a drier, or vacuum
> pumping, the volatiles should be about equally vulnerable to loss into the
> atmosphere.

True if all things, namely pv/nrt is same for both processes.
Difference is the bees know when to stop and cap the cells, while
we run the vacuum overnight. In essence, the bees are running
their version of a vacuum pump by fanning to keep air circulation
over the uncapped honey. It reduces the pressure over the honey,
albeit minimally, so promotes evaporation. But they take their
time and have much less loss. We speed up the process and have
much less control.
Lots of other things would come into play with either reduced
pressure or increased temperature, including ionic bonding and
other molecular actions, including chemical reactions- the
breakdown of the oils and esters.
Would be an interesting research thesis for a grad student.

As to Allen's other comments and Chris' concerning hurt feelings
on this list. I doubt if any on this present list mean to offend.
Sometimes it is just exasperation which can come off as an attack
but not intended to hurt.
If you have been on the net for a while, especially on
unmoderated newsgroups, your skin thickens appreciably and you
let perceived insults die.
So, Allen, no need to hide any more. You can put "your real name"
there. We will be kind. :)
Bill T