From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:32:52 -0600
??
> I'm currently enjoying the hospitality of Indiana beekeepers. Bob, I'm
> curious about two reports of interest.

I have had emails from Indiana beekeepers in areas of corn seeing similar
things as we Missouri beekeepers have seen. At least you keep an open mind
to what we are saying. All I ask from those listening.

> 1.  Adult bee mortality *prior* to corn seed planting (this would be prior
> to the dust issue due to planting).  Beekeepers suspect due to bees
> working
> weeds prior to field prep.  I'm asking them to collect pollen and nectar
> samples for analysis.  Have any other members observed the same?

I have not seen the above.

> 2.  Adult bee mortality during combining operations.   This would be long
> after teaseling and after the crop had dried.  Am also asking them to
> collect
> pollen samples at the time, which should pick up any environmental dust.
> Again, any members also observing the same?

This coincides with when we see problems from nosema ceranae , virus
problems due to end of season varroa loads.
I certainly see problems at that time but have never thought was from corn
.

I see problems in early July through August when corn is teaseling and more
so in drought years.

What convinces me the most is making up new hives exactly alike with the
same queen source. Watching those hives build from a couple frames of brood
and a new queen and then moving half into corn areas (which have clover
fields as close as the corn) and watch the hives go backward , fail to
gather honey and almost quit flying when down the road in range country ( no
corn) the air is full of bees and the hives doing great.

Although its hard to prove the corn is behind the problem one can not simply
ignore what we see. My experiments this year will answer many questions.

To question one above in my area we have plenty of fresh pollen at that time
so at a loss as to why the problem then.

To question two I would suggest feeding pollen patties at the time the
combining is being done if the beekeeper suspects corn pollen problems.

Most my bees are in a holding yard away from row crops both times so maybe I
am
not the person to comment.

I spend hours driving and checking locations for honey plants and the row
crops in the area. then move the bees into the areas and usually super the
next day.

In fall I start moving bees into the winter holding yards as soon as supers
are pulled *unless* fall pollen or nectar is coming in. In some years I move
bees into the Blackwater River bottoms miles from row crops to fill up on
"smart weed" (heartsease) which is plentiful when the river has been out of
its banks in early spring.

Good luck helping those Indiana beekeepers!

Wish I could have been of more help!

bob