From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:12:59 -0700
>Then you could swap them around and see which factors bees remember most.

We often split or super hives in close proximity.  If we make a double into
a single, the field force will immediately start to drift to the double
next door, despite the odor of the original hive still being at the
entrance.  If I then place an empty box on top of the single to restore it
(in the bees' eyes) to original height, the returning bees will immediately
shift back to returning to the right hive.

I also use landmarks laid in front of a hive if I want to move it a few
feet.  I just move the landmark (such as a board or piece of white card)
along with the hive.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA