From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 20:18:30 -0400
Hello,

I received the answer to my question.
I wanted to post it here to complete the
thread.

Thanks to Jerry and Aaron for the off list
response, and for being so generous with
your time to assist.

I have the answer posted below.

The information has been added to
my Obscure Bee Trivia file, which is
complete with source references, and also
free to all who what to use it.  Remember,
dont show too many people this obscure
bee trivia, or it wont be 'obscure' anymore. ;)

Obscure Bee Fact #14

* Research has shown that some honeybee
colonies may make over a half a million
flights per day. An average size honeybee
colony makes about 250,000 flights per
day, -almost three times as many flights
than all the aircraft flights in the
United States on any given day.

Source:
New and Improved Methods for Monitoring Air Quality and
the Terrestrial Environment
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA414740

Source:
<[log in to unmask]>  Wed, 30 Apr 2008
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind0804E&L=BEE-L&P=R\
1285&1=BEE-L&9=A&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4
“Amazingly, some colonies recorded over 0.5 M flights
per day. Quarter million is fairly common“.
-Jerry Bromenshenk

Source:
Private email: Sept. 3, 2012
“This was based on 50 colonies over six years.
I've adjusted for size, assume these be a full
sized, strong colonies.  Data was published in
Army reports.”  -Jerry Bromenshenk,

Source:
Fort Worth Air Route Traffic Control Center
http://www.zfwnatca.com/
“On any given day, more than 87,000 flights are
in the skies above the United States.”

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/