From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:45:57 -0500
Peter L Borst wrote:
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>

>> this same dynamic plays out with microbes....they strike a balance between stealing from their host and not killing the host.
>>

> Hmm. Like HIV? Exactly what would prevent germs from killing their
> host? Do they think "hey boys, ease up on this guy, we might lose
> him"?

Those that kill the host too quickly are wither not passed on, or are
not passed on to as many new hosts as those that are less virulent.
Simple math.  In biology the name of the game is to spread far and
wide.  Killing one's host before it can pass on your progeny does not
make for a bug that lasts.

Keith