From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:52:14 -0500
Hello Ted -

I'll just mention a few things in response to your points. Purely from a "sharing
experiences" point of view.

> normally have this problem, unless the knife comes unplugged, but they'll
> literally pull a little foundation from the plastic.  I don't want to turn
> it up much more because it starts smoking it gets so hot.

I have always just used an 8" serrated knife for uncapping. Haven't experienced the
comb pulling away from the plastic base with this.

> 2.  From time to time some drone brood is in one of the honey supers.  With
> other foundation I'll just take a hive tool and cut it out.  The next year
> the bees draw it back out.  Not so with Duragilt.  It will create a "bald"
> spot.

When ever I get brood of any kind up in the supers and I must extract before they
emerge, I just leave it alone (capped) and uncap everything else around it. That way I'm
not destroying any comb. This wouldn't work if you have open brood I'll admit. Of course
I'm not so sure even a little brood getting in with the honey is going to be a problem if
you are going to be straining the honey before you bottle it anyway.

> feel that it gives me the most bang for the buck in honey supers.  As I
> stated in my last post concerning foundation, wired wax is my choice for
> brood because I can recycle the wax that I pull out of hives.

You still ought to be able to completey recycle wax from Duragilt foundation also. A
day in the solar melter will give wax free sheets of plastic (which can't be reused I'll
admit).

Not saying that Duragilt is the best way to go, only that I guess we all have our own
personal prefrence in foundation and maybe there are certian drawbacks to every type
of foundation available. I find it very interesting the wide range of experience shared on
this list. Thanks Ted!

Regards

-Barry

--