From:
walter patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:29:00 -1000
I found this question interesting and saved it to watch the replies. Seeing
no replies per se I am not surprised. I have been trying to learn how to
market Hawaii honey to Europe and Asia for the last few years. In the
process I have investigated somewhat the testing requirements and found it
interesting that the requirements are so seemingly non-existent. Some
companies have their internal testing requirements and not very much is
required by governments that I could find. The Europeans are curious about
HMF levels.  Asia seems to be pretty open except what the buyer might ask
for regarding testing. The really interesting thing I seemed to have found
is that there is no US testing requirements on foreign honey coming to the
US from overseas or locally. The packer I interviewed said he paid a lot for
product liability insurance and did not test the huge volumes of honey that
he brought into the US every year. He also said he was glad the foreign
honey was so cheap. I could be all wrong and I don’t think so.

I at first thought this might be a way to stem the flood of foreign honey
from entering the US if US beekeepers could some how be motivated and become
united with a powerful voice in demanding some US required testing of this
foreign honey. I hope someone can prove me wrong as I have never liked the
idea of not having any US required testing of honey for US consumers.

Aloha from Hawaii, come visit

Walter Patton- Beekeeper - Owner
100 % Hawaii Honey-Hawaiian Honey House
Hawaii Beekeepers Bed & Breakfast Inn