From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:33:35 -0600
> >Very interesting! now the next question... Have we any ideas of the
racial
> >type and/or lineage of the samples in question?

>   I would think advertising by breeder #5 would only help to get other
> breeders selecting for T mite resistance. Any way to find out who that is.

Well, I'll try to follow this up, but I was sitting in Jose's lab and
noticed this chart on the wall.  I stood up and took a photograph of it
without discussing it at the time other than to ask a few passing questions.
Only later did it hit me how significant it is.

As for identifying the suppliers, I think that their co-operation was
recruited by promising anonymity.  Moreover this is a small sample.  Jerry B
said he thinks if we took enough samples over time, the suppliers might all
look pretty much the same.  Nonetheless, the suppliers now have a wake-up
call and I am sure they know where they stand.  I'll bet they are working to
get with the program  As They say, "The future is here now; it's just not
evenly distributed."

You can take this up with the research people next time you see them, or
join me in pushing for a certifying agency to ensure that queens measure up
to the advertising.

Backwoods Apiaries in TN is now offering TM susceptibility testing for queen
producers and I know that Gus is using it, for one.  He said so.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/