From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 09:35:26 +0100
Hi All

> Dave Cushman was there too and may wish to come in and amplify what I
> recall.

My observation and recall are not any better than Chris, I was rather
taken aback by the statement, as I instantly saw that much work being
pursued by several groups in UK, may be flawed or wasted. However the
statement was made with strong conviction by a guy who I have respect
for as a diligent and persistent worker.

So as far as I am concerned there is doubt to be cast on the work done
originally by Friedrich Ruttner concerning mite damage. (Which will
become a web page sometime in the future.)

Having said that, there are things that are not explained if the damage
is completely post mortem, in particular the escalating nature of what
we have called mite damaging behaviour within a colony and the fact that
we can breed for a higher incidence of it.

So like many other things, the more we find out... The more we realise
that we do not know.

More work needs to be done and past data (slides of damaged mites) need
to be re-examined using sharper statistical tools to analyse the visual
defects observed so that the pattern of defect can be attributed to
particular actions carried out by the bees.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)