From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2017 07:21:01 -0500
Lloyd wrote:
>I am in Albany NY and have given up using pollen patties because of
>SHB infestation.  Our winters are probably as cold as yours, and may be
>colder.  Sad as it may be, beekeepers in our area find that SHB is
>everywhere.

Thanks for the (unfortunate) info.  I also had several sidebar email exchanges and learned that they can overwinter in compost piles (didn't read that in my research on-line), which are very common around here (including on my own land not far from the apiary) and that they can easily expand from apiary to apiary.  I haven't bought packages in a while (but will this spring, as noted in another post), and this is the first time I've seen them on patties, which I have fed every fall for years.  Also have never seen comb damage like the kind shown in photos on-line (sliming, masses of larvae, etc.).  So, am guessing this is relatively new for my hives.  Will be inspecting carefully this spring and trying some non-chemical controls.  So excited to have one more thing to worry about <--- sarcasm.

Again, thanks to this group for more very practical information.

Bill
Claremont, NH US