From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:23:35 EDT
Bees not taking syrup and/or medication is one of the symptoms listed by  the
Spanish for N. ceranae.  Its also a heads symptom up  that I pay particular
attention to with respect to CCD.  If your bees  go off feed, don't be
surprised if you soon have problems.  The Spanish  report having trouble medicating
bees, once this happens.  I've heard of  some beekeepers drenching bees (which I
believe is off label).  My question  - if the bees are so far gone that they
refuse feed, will drenching help?   Or, is it too late?  I don't know the
answer to this one.

I suspect that this is part of the explanation for why we so often see
excess stores in CCD colonies.

Whether N. ceranae is part of CCD is debatable, but we see a lot  of it in
CCD operations.

Finally, whatever is going on, it seems like the bees respond the same  way
as you and I to stomach flu.  Don't know about you, but I go off my  feed when
my stomach acts up.

Jerry