From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:04:42 EST
Kim is just keeping up with unfolding events.

A week ago, I learned that A. cerana - 17 nests/swarms in Queensland near
Cairns caused the Aussies to stop exports to U.S. since they could not certify
that the country was free of A. cerana, although they could certify that hives
 were free - assuming that the U.S. accepted a quarantine area approach.

On Monday, APHIS reps told me that a new, revised certificate was in the
works, might be approved by end of week.

On Wednesday morning, I reported at the CA Almond Brd Conf in Modesto a
summary of these events.

After my presentation, one of the U.S. importers came up and told me that
they had received a green light the evening before (Tuesday).

By Thursday, the word was spreading; and at least one of the National Bee
Associations called APHIS.

Friday, I got a short memo saying that APHIS was still working on this  issue.

Yesterday, I heard from Australia that the whole issue was still  unresolved.

Although it is the presence of A. cerana in Australia that is the official
non-compliance sticking point, its the possible introduction of more  pathogens
and pests of Asian bees that are the main concern.  We've already  gotten N.
cerana and Kashmir from A. cerana.

There are two other mites in those bees that we don't have, and from what I
hear, don't want - EVER.

Plus some other viruses known to be detrimental to bees, and I suspect  there
may be some things that haven't been discovered/reported.

I doubt that there's much chance of bees in northern Queensland showing up
in package exports at this time.  But, the record of success of quarantines
over the long run has not been good.

If you allow me to speculate, options would seem to range from an outright
ban, to export from specific regions only, to improved  monitoring.   I've seen
claims that the monitoring has to be at  point of origin (not sure about this
one, but if its true, it does tend to make  things more difficult).
Technologically, it should be possible to screen  at port of entry, return or destroy
if any fail to PASS.

Looks like we should all stay tuned, this story changes hour by hour, day  by
day.  Been an interesting week.

Lots of folks have a stack in the final decision - U.S. beekeepers,
importer, exporters, and the Almond Industry to name a few.  Hard decisions  with a
short time line, considering that Almond season is close upon us.

Jerry

steps! (htt
p://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215047751x1200957972/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
cemailfooterNO62)