From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:46:34 -0500
A question arises from study of the past season's notes:

Most of my bees persistently build fins, like an inverted dorsal fin of a
fish, of thin burr comb on the bottoms of their frames, even when properly
supered.  They deposit no honey in these fins, and sometimes these fins
appear in scallopy sets.  Sometimes the sets occur in parallel pairs,
usually with the fins offset rather than opposed. Even bees who build no
honey laden burr comb build them.  The bees seldom attach them below, merely
making them droop in catenary shapes.  I always remove these fins, and the
bees determinedly replace them.  For what purpose do bees build these fins?

Bill Morong