From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:47:03 -0400
Keith G. Benson said:

> That might help Peter, but what of the rest of us?

At risk of sounding snide, consider your friendly
neighborhood search engine.

With a flip of the wrist over to Google, I find more
than I care to read on a Sunday night:

  "+residue +wax +bee"  yields 2,560 hits

  "+residue +beeswax" yields 3,110 hits

  "+residue +Apistan" yields 429 hits

  "+residue +Checkmite" yields 45 hits

  "+residue +coumaphos" yields 877 hits

Not all of these will be citations to published papers,
but some of them will.

...and if all else fails, your local reference librarian has
access to good databases of the usual set of journals.
and can not only run searches for you, but also order
full-text copies, which are most often delivered 100% free.

I have been making Inter-library loan requests for decades,
and I have been "charged" only a handful of times, most often
for the shipping of a heavy book or set of books.

Yes, folks that work at universities have access to much better
citation search services than the rest of us, and often have better
"science-oriented" journal databases and collections of journals
than public libraries, but on the other hand,  they must put up with
working for a university, which is a very high price to pay.

As an alternative, anyone can wander into the library of most university
or community colleges, and anyone who does quickly notices that students
and staff tend to run searches on the same expensive subscription
databases that Peter has at Cornell, print the results out on a printer,
and then wander off toward the stacks in search of a few books.  I have
yet to see a single person "log off" their workstation when they are done.

Do I have to draw anyone a picture?

        jim