Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:11:15 -0400
I don't profess to know the inner chemical workings of oxalic vs. formic
acid treatments, but oxalic acid vapor seems a worthwhile experiment.

If the guy that machines the vaporizer is true to his word (and he should
be, if he wants to sell more vaporizers) then the following should be true:

1) It takes about three minutes per hive, handling dry (crystalline) acid,
as opposed to obviously more hazardous liquid formic.

2)  the oxalic vapor system delivers a precise quantity of acid, as opposed
to formic, which depends heavily on temperatures (vapor pressure), and can
vary widely.

3) He states emphatically that there is no observable stress or mortality:
bees go about their business quite as usual immediately after treatment.  He
also states that he's been using this system for some time, with no apparent
negative effects.  Bear in mind that the vapor travels through a plastic
hose, cooling considerably before entering the hive.  If there is minor
stress on the hive, it would seem that it is considerably less than that
created by the varroa, and eventual collapse.  Consider also that
fluvalinate is a synthetic pyrethroid, which is *lethal* to insects in
sufficient quantity.  The Apistan strips were engineered to release slowly,
administering a small enough dose to be non-lethal to bees, but lethal to
mites.  I would guess that even at these low doses, there *must* be a small
amount of stress to the bees.  Of the oxalic acid trickle and spray studies
that I have seen, which are much less predictable than vapor, the GST levels
(which apparently indicate stress in bees) were essentially normal even
after oxalic acid trickle treatments, which are ostensibly the least
accurate delivery system of the three.

4)  The most significant indications of any damage from oxalic acid
treatments of any kind seem strictly related to trickle treatments which
were oxalic acid/sugar solutions being ingested by the bees.  Logically, in
such large quantities, the softer inner tissues would sustain some damage.

5) One can purchase oxalic acid crystals easily and cheaply - contrasted
with formic acid, which would require me to drive four hours to purchase
more than I would ever need.  To me, for the cost of $59, the vaporizer
seems a worthwhile experiment.

6) Oxalic acid vapor can be used in a much wider latitude of temperatures
(down to 33 deg F), as opposed to formic, which is very fussy about temps.
The recommended fall treatment is late (for Vermont) - around Nov. 25, which
targets broodless conditions, when it's most effective.  In conditions of
sealed brood, a second treatment can follow as soon as 7 days, but 14 is
recommended.

7)  Analysis of oxalic acid content in spring honey after winter treatment
shows no accumulation of oxalic acid above background levels.  Oddly, as the
test dosage was increased, the measurable levels of oxalic acid in honey
decreased.  (?)  Also, since the acid is water, and not fat soluble, it does
not affect wax.

8) In theory, since treatments are so simple and quick, in addition to
spring, one could treat between major nectar flows to keep summer
populations in check, facilitating the late November treatment.  A
mid-winter treatment can also be administered, for a total of four more or
less evenly spaced treatments.

James Fischer wrote:

>         ...They sell you something, and
>         make money on the gizmo.  They can't make
>         much money selling the acid, can they?

If any sort of conspiracy theories were to be thrown about, I would wonder
aloud why so many (expensive) synthetic pesticides have been approved for
apiary use, and so few (inexpensive) organic techniques (such as formic,
oxalic, etc.)?  The argument about formic acid's perils to beekeepers rings
hollow - one can buy a multitude of very hazardous chemicals (like muriatic
acid, pool chlorine, or diazinon) with no knowledge or credentials - just
cash.

I'm not advocating anything, but am looking for answers, and safe, simple,
effective treatment, just like everyone else, and felt the need to throw in
my meager 1.4 cents worth.  I feel that we're unlikely to know anything
without trying an experiment or two.  Sorry for the long post :)

Regards,

Todd