From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 05:55:30 -0700
>Are there any benefits to the bees?

We did a lot of comparisons years back.   We found queens would be laying on
plastic inserts well before wax foundation and on the black several hours
(day) before the white.  Although we had a couple of theories as to why the
preference to the plastic, the colour thing really threw us for a loop. We
had always thought a queens choice for darker comb was related to pupa
casings (pheromone, texture or both), indicating the frame had raised young
before.

If the queen & her court, makes these choices, there must be some benefit to
her.

Certainly makes seeing eggs on new comb a lot easier for us.

Dave Tharle
T'N'T Apiaries
Ardmore, AB