From:
Andrew Dubas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:06:12 -0400
Do queens mate with bees from the same hive or from the same bee yard ? I
was told by another beekeeper that queens on their mating flights go about
3-4 miles away to mate... is this true ? it just does not seem logical.
Anyone have the answer Im looking for ? The reason is because I make my own
queens from my own bee yards and was told that it is better to buy queens
from breeders because they are mated properly and that my queens wont be
mated properly because the queen leaves and goes out of range of my colonies
and since the feral bee populations are next to zero that she will be a
drone layer in no time... I have not had any problems with inadequately
mated queens however I still would like to know more about the mating
flight..

Andrew

PS. Anyone whole sale comb honey in ross rounds ? please email me at
[log in to unmask]  Thanks !