From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 23:11:52 -0500

> Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote in reply to thread "I can't stand it anymore"
>
> > I saw a worker laying an egg the other day. In a completely queen-right
> > hive with a healthy, fecund queen. That made my whole week.
>
> Now I am a new keeper, but it aint April 1st so can someone explain this
> phenomenon?

I have found drone brood up in the honey supers often enough to wonder if
every now and then a worker is up there laying. I wonder if in a very large
colony workers up in the supers may not get enough of the phermones needed to
prevent thier ovaries from developing?

Other thoughts would be a nearby colony going queenless and developing
laying workers who drift around or one of the African genes showing up
in the area.

--

There is no doubt we need government in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net