Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:28:38 GMT
...i've also looked into a diy electronics solution.  fsr's (force sensing resistors) are good for this purpose, and i had a thought that if i built them into all the hives, i could have 1 microcontroller in each yard to read everything, and perhaps a cheap cellphone that calls in with data every 6 hours or something.

the cost of the sensors (especially is it's probably best to use 4/hive...one in each corner) is the sticking point.  i can't recall what i figured it would cost, but it was more than i was willing to spend.

in contrast, i remeber seeing a foreign video clip(german perhaps) where they had a scale that slides under each bottom board, and is brought under load (raised) by pulling a lever.  this seems to me the best option, short of a remote system where you don't need to be onsite to read the scale.  of course, you may have to modify your bottom boards.

that said, i have no hive scale other than my own lifting capacity....but i want one.

deknow