From:
Midnite Bee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 17:46:53 -0500
www.cybertours.com/~midnitebee
I am unable to answer this person's question. I am most intersted in
hearing the List's reply. You could also e-mail Robert directly.
Robert Simkunas II
Fri Aug 1 16:54:22 1997
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Comments: My interest in beekeeping started with my passion for plant life.
I am 23 and have grown and collected plants for the past 9 years. It was
not until resently that I became interested in beekeeping, but I have yet
to start my own hive and hope to do so between Feb. and March of 98. Lately
I have been propagating my plants, espesially tomatos, and it is a hassle
pollinating with a brush going from flower to flower. So I thought about
hiring some WORKERS to do the job for me. Right now I am in the process of
researching infomation on beekeeping and so far have found the MidniteBee
website to...bee...quite resourceful. I do have one worry though. I am a
CARNIVOROUS PLANT freak. I am not worried about American pitchers or the
venus fly trap picking on my bees because the pitcher traps are too small
for a bee to drown in and venus fly traps are generally too small to catch
a bee. I am worried about the Nepenthaceae family which do produce large
pitchers some of witch are known to swallow rats! But I beleive the biggest
problem are the Sundews because they sercret sugery sticky mucilage drops
that cover the leaves. This not only traps the insects, but it also
attracts them like most carnivorous plants that use nectar like substances
to lure their prey. My question is; do bees have antlike intelligence and
will learn to stay away from these plants or will they keep falling victim
like a dumb fly.